Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

If you are about my age, you remember that annoying commercial from Staples that epitomized every child's worst nightmare and every parent's dream. It's time to go back to school. When I was little, going back to school meant that I wore a pair of white tights, a red plaid skirt, and black boots that went up to my calves. There was always the kitten sweater and the French braids to anticipate.

Now that I'm in college, I don't know what I'm going to wear. Clothes do not seem nearly important as they were. My focus is now on waking up in the morning and getting ready as fast as possible without any kind of hassle, leaving the house early enough to sit in my car as I impatiently wait for a parking space. I've gotten to the point where I do my make up at long stoplights, keeping one eye on the red light. Usually I arrive at school, looking somewhat put together.

For most college students, this is usually the case. We do not care what we look like, and beauty is on the back burner. Late nights of studying and drinking take their toll on skin, and there isn't enough time to properly apply makeup. I've come up with a list of three things that you can use to achieve a pretty, natural look in very little time.

Secret #1All-Over Face Color in Clear Radiance by bareMinerals ($18.00 at Ulta)

Even if I've stayed up all night studying, I still look as if I've had a full 7 hours of sleep if I wear this. I assume it would also be good to combat the hungover look. I just swipe this all over my face after applying powder and concealer and it gives me back the beautiful skin that college sabotaged.
Secret #2

Diorshow Mascara in Black by Dior ($24 at Nordstrom)

I skip caffeine and use this instead to create a wide-awake look. It's probably now a classic or at least a cult-favorite, and I can definitely see why. After using this, I never want to use another mascara ever again. You get bonus points for taking 10 seconds to use an eyelash curler.

Secret #3


Minted Rose Lip Balm by Rosebud Perfume Co. ($7 at Sephora)

My sister first introduced me to the original Rosebud Salve when I was 15 years old. She gave it as part of a gift bag full of goodies for her bridesmaids, and I loved it instantly. The original has a light rose scent that I love, but I recently ordered the Minted Rose Lip Balm with my Quotidian Dress from Anthropologie because the original was out of stock. I love this one even more than the original! It's easy to use and gives my lips a rosy tinge.

0 comments: